«Little children, let us stop saying we love people; let us really love them, and show it by our actions.» 1 John 3:18 (LB)
My big sister said, «Since the two babies are due almost at the same time, it would be like having twins. I’d love to have two babies at once.»
She was talking about adopting a baby in addition to the one she carried. She was talking about adopting my girlfriend’s baby. She was talking about helping us through a crisis pregnancy.
These are words of love from a sister, love she showed by action. Love is not a passive noun; it’s an active verb. It’s something you do more often than something you feel.
What is in our hearts flows into our actions; we show the fullness of love within our hearts when we do things for others. God fills our hearts to overflowing as we drink deeply from his love. In turn, we become a fountain overflowing with God’s love. The Apostle John describes this as rivers of living water flowing from us. The life of Jesus flows from us to them when we put action into our love.
This actionable, practical love is displayed in the life of Jesus, and he taught it to his disciples. Jesus told his disciples they’d be known by their love as revealed in their actions.
Jesus gets specific in Matthew 25:35-36:
· You gave food to the hungry.
· You gave drink to the thirsty.
· You invited a stranger into your home.
· You gave clothes to the naked.
· You cared for the sick.
· You visited the prisoners.
This love in action is summed up by Francis of Assisi: Preach the Gospel, and if necessary, use words.
· Overflow of God – Ask God to fill your heart with so much of his love that it begins to overflow into the lives of those around you.
· A Peanuts Theology – There is a famous Peanuts comic strip where Sally, Charlie Brown’s little sister, is seen standing inside a warm, dry house looking through a window at Snoopy, who sits on top of his dog house freezing and wet. Instead of inviting Snoopy into the house, or providing for his comfort, she says, in effect, «Go in peace, keep warm, and eat well» (James 2:16 NCV). Let this image keep love in action on your mind.
· Practice Practical Love – What are ways you can practice practical love? Ask God to identify people in your life who need to experience love, and ask him to show you what you can do to show them love.
© 2007 Jon Walker. All rights reserved.
Devocionales Cristianos www.devocionalescristianos.org